Are you or is someone you know feeling overwhelmed by unwanted marketing contact from a charity?
We know that people are very generous when it comes to giving to charity, but that does not mean they want to hear from every charity.
The Fundraising Preference Service is a free service that can help you end contact with any charity registered in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Find out how it works by watching our video below.
Introducing the Fundraising Preference Service
How does it work?
By using the Fundraising Preference Service, you can manage your communications from charities in just three easy steps:
- Search for a charity name or registered charity number
- Select the channels of communication you wish to stop - you can choose addressed letters, emails, text messages or phone calls.
- Enter your contact details and we’ll take care of the rest
You can select up to 3 charities at a time using the FPS website. If you would like to stop communications from more than 3 charities, simply submit a new request.
Alternatively, you can stop up to 20 charities at one time by calling us on 0300 3033 517. Please make sure you know the charity names or registered charity numbers before you call.
The service is safe and secure to use and you can use it on behalf of someone else. Your personal information will be accessed securely by the named charity and will only be used by them for the purpose of matching you against their database.
It may take up to 21 days to stop communications from a charity. If you continue to receive communications more than 21 days after submitting an FPS request, you can let us know by making a follow up request using your reference code.
If you don't know your reference code, click 'I've lost my reference code' on the FPS website.
A third of people have used the service on behalf of a friend or relative. When you use the FPS on behalf of someone else, you will be asked to confirm that you have the authority to act on their behalf and to provide their personal details, as well as your own.
We will send a letter by post to the person you are acting on behalf of to let them know that their details have been entered on the system. Call us on 0300 3033 517 if you have any questions about this.
A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets someone appoint one or more people (known as an ‘attorney’) to help them make decisions or to make decisions on their behalf.
You do not need power of attorney to use the FPS. When you use the FPS on behalf of someone else, you will be asked to confirm that you have the authority to act on their behalf and to provide their personal details, as well as your own.
Usually, we will send a letter by post to the person you are acting on behalf of to let them know that their details have been entered on the system. However, if you do not wish for this letter to be sent, we will ask for proof that you have power of attorney. Please call us on 0300 3033 517 if you wish to do this.
The FPS is designed to help people manage communications from charities based in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
Fundraising self-regulation in Scotland is different to the system in place in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. More information is available here.
Donors living in Scotland can use the FPS to stop communications from charities registered in England, Wales or Northern Ireland that fundraise in Scotland.
For concerns about the fundraising practices of charities registered in Scotland, please contact the Scottish Fundraising Adjudication Panel.
The Fundraising Preference Service is a free and effective way of managing the communications you receive from registered charities.
If you want to stop communications from other types of organisations, you may be able to use these services:
- Telephone Preference Service (TPS) – a free service which enables you to join the official register to opt out of unsolicited sales and marketing calls. Visit www.tpsonline.org.uk or call 0345 070 0707.
- Mail Preference Service (MPS) – a free service to enable members of the public to have their names and home addresses removed from lists used by the marketing industry. Visit www.mpsonline.org.uk or call 0207 292 3310.
- Royal Mail’s Door-to-Door Opt-Out – a free service that will stop unsolicited, unaddressed mail delivered by Royal Mail. Use their form or call 03457 740740.
- BT Call Protect service – a free service for all BT customers to combat nuisance calls. Visit the BT website or dial 0800 328 1572 from your home phone and follow the instructions.