Other organisations that can help

The Fundraising Regulator regulates charitable fundraising in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. We also deal with fundraising in Scotland where it is carried out by charities registered primarily with the Charity Commission for England and Wales or the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland.

We can investigate concerns that the Code of Fundraising Practice may have been breached by a fundraising organisation. Read our complaints process to find out what we are able or unable to investigate.

If your complaint is not about charitable fundraising in the areas we regulate, these other organisations may be able to help you.

Complaints about fundraising by a charity registered in Scotland

The Scottish Fundraising Adjudication Panel regulates fundraising by charities only registered in Scotland and it handles complaints about charities only registered in Scotland. More information on how we work together is available here.

To see if a charity is registered in Scotland you can search the Scottish Charity Register

Complaints about charity governance

The UK has several statutory charity regulators. They register and regulate charities under charity law. They hold a list of registered charities, make sure charities meet legal requirements and work with charity trustees on issues of governance.

Report allegations of fraud or criminal activity

  • Contact the police by phone on 101 if you suspect illegal activity.
  • Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Complaints about employment or contractual matters

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) gives employees and employers free, impartial advice on workplace rights, rules and best practice.

Complaints about quality of goods or services

Trading Standards investigate unfair trading and illegal business activity, like rogue traders and scams. You can contact Trading Standards through

Complaints about advertising

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is the UK’s independent advertising regulator. The ASA makes sure advertising across UK media complies with the Advertising Codes.

Complaints about use of personal data

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights. The ICO regulates compliance with data protection laws such as the Data Protection Act (DPA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Complaints about housing

The Housing Ombudsman Service looks at complaints about housing organisations, including housing associations and local authorities. 

Complaints about local government and social care

The Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils, adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

General consumer advice

Citizens Advice is a network of independent charities that offer confidential advice online, over the phone and in person across the UK, for free.